Monday, November 25, 2013

November 23rd 2013 - Competition/Open Mat

Competiton Class

Our class was down to 5 yesterday but we still had a tough session.  Greg setup stations with 4 minute rounds to work on our guard pass, guard technique, our third technique, pulling guard, and conditioning.  The worst part by far was the conditioning with lunges, push-ups, triangles, and finally burpees.

Rolling: Tournament Rules Matches with everyone

I didn't feel great about my performance but I suppose that's to be expected with the people I went up against.  I successfully pulled guard on Fuji but when I went to underhook his leg his knee landed firmly in my face.  There were some expletives and I eventually wriggled my way out of it but it sucked.  It finished the same as usual in side control.  I pulled guard again but he passed my legs by pretty easily we ended up in a nasty knee on belly. 

Probably the highlight of the morning was a dropping shoulder throw that I pulled off on Henry.  I had thought about the throw before the match and he and I went back and forth a little bit before I decided to try it.  I worked for his back and almost had a bow and arrow but he defended it well.  I screwed up after that, I gassed a bit and once points started Henry turned it up and passed my half guard.  He gained a lot more points after that with mount and knee on belly and I wasn't able to come back. 

I rolled with Jerad and Will as well but don't remember as much about those matches.  I know Jerad shut me down pretty decisively.  Will and I stalemated although I was awarded the win for passing the guard early in the match.

Open Mat

Everyone was pretty wiped after class but I had to go home soon to the family so I decided to roll with Jorge.  I was able to sweep him okay and reach side control, but I spent a lot of time trying to submit him.  He's doing a great job of protecting himself but I eventually wore him down to catch him with an americana.  He asked me about some alternative side control escapes so I showed him the underhook tripod escape to single leg.  We rolled once or twice more after that.

Ray systematically destroyed me.  He worked very methodically to pass my guard take side control then mount and not give me any space to work with.  I did a little better during our second roll but not much.  He did put me in back mount which was weird for him, I escaped it, back into mount though.  He ended up submitting me with a couple of kimuras I believe.

WHOYA: November 23rd 2012 - Open Mat

I returned after a hiatus to open mat.  It sounded like a pretty good time, I rolled with Mike, Buaer, Greg, and Ray.  This was still at a time when I thought my knee was going to heal on its own.  It seems like my roll with Ray was similar to yesterday with him spending most of the time on top.  The roll with Greg made me realize that he has changed his game recently.  For a while it seemed like he was always working toward a guillotine now it seems like he focuses on butterfly guard and then hunting for back mount. 

No comments:

Post a Comment