Thursday, November 7, 2013

November 7th 2013 - No Gi (B.E. A.G.G.R.E.S.S.I.V.E)

Theme & Techniques: 2 on 1 to butterfly guard, transition from full guard, arm drag to back mount

Had some visitors tonight from North Platte join us.  We've been working on this hold from butterfly a lot lately, but in the gi.  Setting it up no gi is not nearly as secure but it still works.  The piece that made this easier was using a grape vine from guard to put their legs back to get our butterfly hooks in.

The other awesome thing that we did tonight an addition to the arm drag.  After setting up the 2 on 1 we would bring 1 hook out and scoot forward then kind of jump sit back.  Hard to explain but very useful.  Greg has been learning some great things from MGInAction

Rolling: Free Rolling

Greg had us roll with everyone tonight, I think with maybe 5 minute rounds.  The two visitors were a little bigger than me and knew how to handle themselves in no gi.  Technique pulled me through but it wasn't easy.  One of them (Adam) was able to setup a toe hold to knee bar that I tapped to.  I wasn't sure how to feel about that.  I felt like it shouldn't have happened so ego reared its ugly head, but there is also a BJJ saying: "If you're not tapping, you're not learning."  I did ask Greg if we could work on leg locks in the next no gi class.

Mike took it to me pretty well.  He's still nursing his ribs although you wouldn't know it.  His objective was just guard passing and he took it to me like he usually does.  Once he was able to open my guard and stand up he had the upper hand.  We talked after class about some things I should do and we both thought that my problems were stemming from a lazy guard.  I need to be more aggressive in guard and impose my will.  Attack sweeps instead of always waiting for the other guy to make a mistake.  He said that when I'm in a top position he can see that I'm focused on my guard passing or going for the submission from side mount, but in guard I play kind of willy-nilly.  My guard needs to be more purpose driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment