Friday, November 22, 2013

November 22nd 2013 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Escape side control with straight arm, Under hook shovel side control escape, Omoplata back roll counter

Had the first signs of winter last night with a little bit of snow and ice.  The other students must have decided to stay home in their warm beds instead of attending the early Friday morning class.  After a warm-up Greg and I drilled 3 techniques each.  I've been a little disappointed in my side control escapes lately so requested to work on the straight arm escape.  My confidence in the technique was raised a little bit, but I know I need to work on it some more. 

The 2nd technique is an alternative to the first one that I kind of like.  I get my first hand on the opponent's bicep the other arm fights for the underhook.  From their try to get under the opponent rolling them over you.  It worked pretty well in practice, I'll have to see if I can make it work. 

I'm feeling a lot better about the omoplata back roll when they posture.  I've practicing being explosive with back rolls during the warm-up and it seems to be helping.  Greg also suggested to cause a reaction in the opponent to drive them down with the leg before back rolling.

Rolling: Free Rolling (2 x 7 min)

Both rolls were an exercise in delaying an inevitable back take and RNC.  There were a couple of times where I almost accomplished something with guard or trying a guard pass but it was all for not.  Before taking off, Greg and I discussed rolling with new guys and how aggressive I need to be.  I've been sort of worried that I may be taking it a little too easy by focusing on technique above all else.  Greg didn't necessarily see it as a bad thing and said that I'm going down a good path but couldn't hurt to up my intensity slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment