Thursday, November 21, 2013

November 21st 2013 - No Gi

Theme & Techniques: Omoplata from shin on bicep guard, Escape side control with straight arm

Another omoplata setup to add to my repertoire.  I have practiced this before but don't find myself in this position too often, but I may play around with it in the weeks to come to see if I can make something of it.  Greg equated the position to about as close as you can get to spider guard in no gi.  It's a little like butterfly guard but you have your shins on their biceps and your hands holding their arms in place by grabbing the triceps.  You then pick your side and bring both hands over to that arm, kick up and voila, omoplata!

Continuing with Escapes Week, we did the no gi version of the side control escape that Greg has been drilling lately.  I felt a little better about it today during drilling but once we started rolling I wasn't able to implement it.  I'll have to keep working it as well as stringing together my side control escapes in general.

Rolling: Side Control Position (3 minute rounds)

Adam and I partnered up first and I kept him at bay from the bottom but was not able to escape.  I had some pretty decent attempts though.  From the top he seemed to have a pretty easy time.  I need to pay more attention to the crossface and his hips, but it's so difficult to hold him down.  Mike and I had a great roll and we both stalemated each other from both positions.  I had a lot of submission attempts from top and he was all over the place with a lot of movement every time I attempted an escape.  Jordan did a good job of moving from the top, I was able to squeak into half guard once or twice but it took some doing.  From the top I setup the north/south choke a couple times by attacking for mount and getting him to bring his hands away from his neck. 

Jordan surprised me after rolling by asking me to keep attacking him with the north/south choke when we roll.  I think that's a great attitude to have and I equate it to all of those times I was darce choked by Jerad.  I'm way better at defending the darce now because of that time period.  Hopefully I can oblige Jordan in his request.

No comments:

Post a Comment