Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November 19th 2013 - Gi Noon & Evening

Noon
Theme and Techniques: Omoplatas, Turtle escape to guard

Just Jordan and myself again.  I'm just finishing up with the cold I had, but I still have a lot of congestion and the whole class was a little bit of a struggle.  We each did a 7 minute round of omoplatas.  We both paid special attention to keeping their hand in the hip.  Doing that many omoplatas for that length of time actually turns into quite a full body workout.  The abs and legs get involved as well as a little upper body looking for the underhook and extending them out.

We worked on defending from turtle if they had the farside lapel grip, by grabbing their far knee, sticking our leg up behind them and then sitting using our shin to regain some type of guard. 

Rolling: Turtle Position, Free Rolling

I didn't have too much trouble with either side of the turtle position.  I was able to regain a couple times and roll him into side control.  Greg had us roll together for a 10 minute round.  I may have played a little too lazy because he was able to pass my guard using the bull fighter pass a couple of times.  I was trying to implement spider guard but I seemed to be one step behind.  It took some doing but I regained butterfly guard and was able to eventually sweep and slid right to a north/south choke. 

Evening
Theme and Techniques: 1 Escape each from Mount, Side Mount, Back Mount, Turtle

Greg deemed this week "Escapes Week" and escapes we did.  I partnered with Adam as we went through umpa from mount, bridge and knee replace from side control, back to the mat leg flatten escape to the underhook side from back mount, and the granby roll from turtle.  We did it in rounds so each partner got a lot of reps in a row of each escape. 

Rolling: 8 Minute Defensive Drill x 2

I guess several of the new guys had never been through the 8 minute drill previously.  It has been one of my most favorite and hated drills since Greg introduced it.  It's gotten more bearable over time but doing 2 in a row was tough especially with 2 of the most experienced guys (Adam and Jerad).  For the most part my defense went pretty well with both of them.  I didn't give up too many submissions, an americana from Adam and a triangle from Jerad.  My offense with both of them did seem to be lacking.  I should probably study what they are doing a little bit more because I would like to be able to escape like they do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment