Tuesday, November 26, 2013

November 26th 2013 - Gi Noon & Evening

Noon
Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Closed Guard Sweeps: scissor and hip bump

Had a visitor during class today who is also named Josh.  His son has been to a few classes with my boys so he thought he'd try it out.  This made it a true beginners class this time instead of the usual bromoplata class.  Fuji also was in attendance and I ended up working with him on the throw and sweeping techniques.

I felt pretty good about both sweeps, I had to work on generating momentum a bit with the scissor and Fuji gave me some good pointers with the collar grip for the follow up choke.  I also tried to correct a habit of using my elbow when I should have posted my hand on my right side of the hip bump.

Rolling:  Closed Guard Position (2 min rnds), Free rolling

I worked with Fuji and Josh during positional rolling.  I was actually able to pull off a omoplata sweep and I passed the guard with the over/under on Fuji which was surprising.  Although he got me back with his signature lasso sweep and leg drag pass.

Josh got his first taste of rolling and he seemed pretty surprised how difficult and technical it was.  After sweeping him a couple of times I gave him some pointers and on our second time around Greg talked him through a basic double under pass.  Hopefully we got him hooked.

I rolled with Jordan after class and he did pretty well today.  I had a couple of good sweeps, I tried the lasso sweep and Greg gave me some advice to help complete it.  I also pulled off the x-guard technical stand-up sweep.  I had a heck of a time passing his guard though.  I attacked the north/south choke and he defended it well a couple times but I eventually got a step ahead of his defense.

Evening
Theme & Techniques: Dealing with standing opponent in closed guard: Underhook leg sweep & Star Sweep

Greg had us do a lot of reps in the circle portion of warm-up; the abs were feeling it by the end.  I worked with Adam and Conan on the guard techniques.  The first sweep was working pretty well.  We worked out the best way to land since none of us wanted our feet under our opponent in the end while mounting. 

I felt a little twinge in my left knee a couple times while Adam did the star sweep.  It worried me a bit so I decided to sit out for the remainder of the drill.  I stretched and felt it out and it wasn't hurt or swollen.  I probably overreacted because the pain wasn't unbearable but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to exacerbate a real injury.  I did some test rolling with Adam and seemed fine.  

Rolling: King of the Mat closed guard

I monitored myself closely during kotm and didn't have any problems.  I took it pretty easy for the most part and made sure I didn't end up with a start sweep scenario.  I was king for a couple of rounds but ended up getting passed by Henry.  He has really stepped up his game recently.  I had a pretty good battle with Adam mostly in half guard.  I was so close to passing but it wasn't meant to be. 

Had a nice chat about guard passing after class and some of his strategies to deal with Greg's 2 on 1 grip.  I think I'm going to go to youtube and watch some competitions, mostly with a focus on observing grip fighting from top guard.  Due to the Thanksgiving holiday I won't be training for 3 days.  Come Saturday I'll be salivating to get back on the mat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment