Tuesday, October 13, 2015

October 13th 2015 - Gi Beginner

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Basic Side Control Escape, Side Control Americana
Partner: Bhuvana

I believe that this is week 1 of the beginner curriculum if anyone is interested.  Here are some things that came up today for these techniques:
  • For O-Soto Gari step so you are hip to hip and time the hook movement with your step
  • For Side Control Escape drive your knee all the way to their other hip.  When kicking in the end to free your foot don't try to lift their leg off the floor push their leg back across the floor.
  • For the americana once I get the wrist to the floor I like to use my head to control their wrist until I can get my grips set.

Rolling: Side Control (4 x 2 min)
Rolled With: Robert, Ben

So I went through with attempting the techniques from class.  It was very difficult for my brain to adjust to not doing my usual responses to certain things.  I had a pretty tough time because both Robert and Ben aren't slouches.  Attempting the americana on Robert was difficult because if I let go of the crossface he was able to turn into me and start looking for the single or double leg.  I at least put the wrist to the floor but wasn't able to fully finish. 

From the bottom I was able to at least get my knee in and regain half guard and butterfly.  The thing that I'm focusing on most is not telegraphing with my breathing before I bridge and it's getting better. 

Office Hours Partner: Robert

Had 3 five minute rounds with Robert after class.  I tried to push myself to stay active throughout the time but did find myself stopping on the bottom of side control a few times.  I spent most of the time on the bottom and he was able to submit me near the end with a kimura.  I played some half guard and used some butterfly to regain.  He's so difficult to move and I often end up on the bottom during a scramble. 

I'm glad that he's around because he's different than the other guys that are better than me.  Actually everyone that's better than or challenges me has something unique in their rolling style.  Greg, Conan, Jerad, Mike, Adam, Alejandro, Fuji, Henry, Zac, Robert all give me trouble in different ways.  If I didn't include you it's because we don't roll enough or you need to step up your game ;)  


No comments:

Post a Comment