Wednesday, October 14, 2015

October 14th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Basic Side Control Escape, Side Control Americana
Partner: Ben

Had a good session with Ben a couple things came up and Ben commented a few times "That makes so much sense."  So I'll take that as experience points on my teaching skill.  The main pointers were:
  • Time your bus driver movement with your step in o-soto gari
  • When trying to get the grip for the americana put squeeze your hand into position by sliding it across your own chest and then flipping your hand.  

Rolling: Side Control (4 x 2 min), Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Dave, Morgan, Ben, Austin, Tom

I had a really good day of rolling.  I pushed myself to do the techniques from class and I also wanted to hit the straight ankle when possible.  In side control top I had some success with the americana I found that going to north/south and then returning to the side gave me a little bit of time to get the grip I wanted. 

From the bottom my bridging felt very strong.  I'm feel like my breathing is syncing well with my bridge and I'm having to think less about it.  Morgan probably gave me the best compliment when he asked me what he could do to prevent himself from flying off of me when I bridged.  I think the biggest thing was he wasn't using the crossface effectively to turn my head. 

In the bottom of guard I focused on the cross guard in the hopes of hitting a funk roll that I've been looking into recently.  I came pretty close once but I need to experiment with it more.  Otherwise I was using omoplata and flower sweep when it presented itself.  I got caught in turtle a couple times and relied on the granby to get back.  I've been trusting it more lately and realize I just need to go for it to get it.  From the top I was all about going for the straight ankle lock but ran into the putting on the boot defense whenever I went for it.  Greg explained later that I need to get their leg bent again using my free hand behind their knee. 

During free rolling I spent some time in lasso and was looking for the turtle to omoplata setup but always seem to have my distance off.  I may need a outside opinion to watch me do this this because I think it could be a viable part of my game and I am just missing a minor detail. 

Office Hours Partner: Dave

Greg gave both Morgan and Dave some things to focus on for the upcoming tournament I think.  Dave was looking at the 2 on 1 to scissor sweep which I like myself.  I'm not sure how Greg chose that specific technique but Dave seemed to do well with it after a few reps.  It was pretty cool to witness the beginning of someone's personal game.



No comments:

Post a Comment