Tuesday, October 6, 2015

October 6th 2015 - Gi Beginner

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock Escape Over Head Roll, Straight Footlock and Defense
Partner: Ben

I was actually happy to see the straight footlock come up this week.  I recently trained with Mike A. on some no gi footlocks and decided that I want to spend some time improving them.  This week couldn't have come at a better time.

The things that I took note of today:
  • After opening the guard, grab the heel and push their foot forward until their toes are in your armpit. 
  • Your elbow will kind of stick out with some space because you want the skinnier part of your arm against their achilles.
  • After you fall to your side you will then collapse your elbow underneath you, look to the floor, open your shoulder, and finally bridge.
I think the biggest improvement that I felt today was doing the kick to place the foot into the hip and then falling to the side.  I'm also focusing on keeping my thighs tight. 

Rolling: Guard (4 x 2 min)
Rolled With: Robert, Brian G.

It was good to roll with Robert again, as it's been a while.  The thing that he's able to do to me more often than anyone else is find a way to stand up while I'm attempting to pass his guard.  It was even on my mind today and I tried to take the precautions to prevent it but he still did it.  From the bottom I held him at bay but wasn't able to sweep.  At one point I felt like I had him in a loop choke that was locked in, but he weathered the storm and eventually got free of it. 


Office Hours Partner: Brian G, John

Rolling with Brian at the end of class and after was good.  He put me on my butt at one point with a scissor sweep but gave me enough space to come up and regain the top.  When he was attempting to pass there were a couple times when I felt like he was almost locking my legs down but I could just scrape by a little bit and get my knee free and regain guard.

John did a couple of good things that I didn't expect.  2 times when I was attempting to pass his half guard he was able to regain the underhook and turn the position around on me.  I'll have to think about if I'm leaving an opening there or if he's doing something extra to get that underhook.  I caught him a couple times with my modified butterfly sweep, that he was kind of surprised by.  I showed it to him after we finished rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment