Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October 27th 2015 - Gi Beginners

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Armbar from Guard, Cross Collar Choke
Students: Jerad, Abdul

A rare occurrence of Jerad in noon class and until Abdul showed up, I thought we were going to be the only 2.  Very odd as last week we had quite a few students in class.  Unfortunately my knee is still a little tight.  I demonstrated the techniques and did fine with that, but didn't want to chance messing it up rolling.  I'm hoping to be back Friday morning though.  It was a little odd being the instructor while Jerad was the student, but I just went with it.

Some tips on today's techniques:
  • When doing any of the hip type throws I like to think of focusing on getting under their belt knot.  So if a person is much shorter than you, you have to get your hips lower than someone who is taller.
  • For Armbar from Guard it seems like the people have the hardest time rotating their body.  I had 2 things that I think about to deal with this.  One is the bend in their knees.  If they are sitting back on their heals they are harder to armbar or sweep.  When turning you kick them in the armpit to drive them forward.
  • The other point I make is that I try to make it as easy as possible to kick my leg over their head.  If it's difficult to get around their head I need to turn more and I'm not at the correct angle.
  • For the collar choke the biggest thing that helped me get it right was keeping my wrist as straight as possible after getting the deep grip.  If you bend your wrist backward it might feel strong but you are actually conforming to their neck instead of shoving your forearm into it.
Rolling: Guard Position (4 x 2 min)

I came close to deciding to roll but decided against it.  I did my best to coach Abdul through rolling but it was kind of difficult.  It was a lot of basics and common problems that beginners do.  Leaning forward too much in guard, crossing the center line with his hands, trying to submit in the closed guard, etc.  I tried not to harp on things over and over and Jerad took it easy on him.  He did do some good thing and started to almost pass his guard at one point.







No comments:

Post a Comment