Friday, October 2, 2015

October 2nd 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Basic Open Guard, Tripod Sweep
Partner: Craig

I was surprised to see such a small class.  Not sure if it's the weather change or what, but Fridays haven't been as big lately.  I know that Friday is early for some of you out there, but if you are looking for some personal attention, it's a great class to attend.  Especially if you are willing to stay after class I will gladly roll or drill with anyone and Conan always has good advice.  This goes for any class that I attend.  Please come roll with me.  Hopefully that comes off as pathetic as I meant it to.

There was a little confusion with the curriculum sheet this morning, but we got it sorted and I helped a little bit since Conan hadn't attended a beginner class this week. 

Rolling: Open Guard (6 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Craig, Morgan, Conan

Rolling felt good.  I actually setup a triangle which really excites me.  It would be great to finally figure out the triangle choke. I've got to get over this thought that my legs are too short and focus more on getting the technique and angles as perfect as possible.  I think my biggest problem is still controlling the posture.

When rolling with Conan he set me up to see if I would notice where he was off balance.  I saw it and attempted to sweep him but I knew that his hand was free to base.  We discussed it a bit.  He said it was good to go for it, because if I didn't he would take advantage of it.  I've been contemplating whether going for something that I know isn't perfect is a waste of energy or if I just need to think about it as a possible opening for something else.  I think that is how people have dominated me in the past, I wait for a perfect opportunity of a sure thing and the time never comes and I get run over.  Interesting to think about.


Office Hours Partner: Morgan

We did a few more open guard rounds after class.  I helped Morgan out with the omoplata after he ended up in a good position to do one, but didn't know.  It's difficult to think that with all of my experience with the omoplata that many of the beginners have little knowledge of it.  I guess it's because it's not a part of the beginner curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment