Wednesday, September 30, 2015

September 30th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Basic Open Guard, Tripod Sweep
Partner: Anthony

Anthony has returned after taking some time off over the summer.  He mentioned being worried about forgetting everything but he seemed to be in the swing of things once class got going. 

During drilling I tried to focus on my opponents posture.  I got the idea when I was on the top of Greg's guard that there came a point where I was too extended and didn't feel comfortable or felt like I was ready to be put into a submission at any moment.  So reverse engineering that how can I make the top person feel that way.  Not sure I totally figured it out but it was a different way to look at it.

Rolling: Open Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Anthony, Ben, Brian G.

This session made me realize how good this position is.  I had a really tough time passing my partners' guards.  I was also able to maintain this position very well.  The combination of the collar/sleeve grabs and the feet on hips and bicep cover your bases.  I haven't figured out how to smoothly transition to submissions or sweeps but keeping this position seems pretty natural.

During free rolling I played a lot of guard as relaxed as I could be.  I found myself using scissor sweep and butterfly sweep.  It seems like the loop choke has been presenting itself lately too.  One thing I noticed was I did some shaking to free something today.  Like trying to pass half guard I shook the legs to free my knee.  I shook my arm free after an over/under pass.  Not sure why I noticed this. 

Office Hours Partner: Anthony

Happy to have someone stay behind and roll with me a bit.  After a few rolls I ended up talking him through some passing and setting up some submissions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment