Wednesday, September 16, 2015

September 16th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Triangle from Closed Guard
Partner: Morgan

After several reps of the triangle the way Greg taught it, I tried a couple other setups.  The cross guard to omoplata and then to triangle seems to be the most natural (duh).  I also played around with Shawn William's guard but didn't feel strong setting it up.  Greg said I needed to put my hands together to keep them from stacking which I didn't think was a part of the position.

Rolling: Closed Guard (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Morgan, Shane, Jeff

Had some good rolling today.  Greg had us go with everyone in guard and then a couple free rolls.  I was able to complete a triangle today with the failed omoplata setup which made me happy.  Also the loop choke appears to be coming back as something useful, it was being blocked consistently so I kind of left it alone for a while but I've hit a few lately and they felt quite smooth.

I found the guys were getting better in guard since we worked on it last week and there was just a little extra grip or going to turtle when they were about to be passed or opening the guard with something in mind.  It keeps me on my toes as sometimes I'm not sure how much I should try in the beginner classes. 

Office Hours Partner: Jeff

Went over some half guard stuff with Jeff.  He was having some posture and darce troubles.  I showed him a few things with messing with their leg to turn their hips a bit and talked about getting the underhook.  Also some Ryan Hall stuff came up with controlling the inside space and using the knee shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment