Friday, September 4, 2015

September 4th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Seoi Nage, Double Ankle Sweep, Butterfly Hook Sweep
Partner: Dave

I focused on more of the same things from the previous classes.  Timing the throw with my stepping.  Also I tend to forget to look back behind me during the throw.  With double ankle to not release my guard until I have the ankles.

I helped Dave with the butterfly sweep quite a bit and I think we made a lot of progress.  The big thing was he was falling to the side instead of crunching up and bringing his shoulder more directly to the mat.  He said that it felt easier and more effective in the end so I win at teaching today.

Rolling: Closed Guard (2 x 4 min), Butterfly Guard (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Dave, Josh

I was pretty surprised with Dave's ability to get grips and hold on to them.  He had me worried a couple times.  I had some fun playing some de la riva though with both Dave and Josh when the initial guard didn't go my way.  The sickle sweep was the only thing that seemed viable to me so I do need to learn some more options from the position or just try to figure out what Alejandro does to me every time.  I did attempt the waterfall backtake but couldn't get as far behind my partner as I would have liked. 

Josh made the comment that I was putting on a clinic with him from butterfly.  I liked the compliment but told him that he was really foiling a lot of the things that I was trying to do and I had to switch my technique several times in response to his pass attempts, I really wanted the hook sweep but couldn't get.  Another thing that I went over with him was that it's okay to stand-up in butterfly if you get the pant grips, it's very difficult to pass from the knees without doing some type of single/double/over under type pass.

Office Hours Partner: Josh, Zac

I went over the cross guard basics with everyone because Zac asked about doing the armbar from mount.  I showed how I got an armbar from there most often.  Rolled with Josh a couple times after that.  Zac and I worked on dealing with the hip switch half guard and I think we finally figured out the leg weave escape that Greg showed us months ago.  Using our other leg to assist in getting the foot in made it unstoppable in my opinion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment