Wednesday, September 2, 2015

September 2nd 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Seoi Nage, Double Ankle Sweep, Butterfly Hook Sweep
Partner: Ben

Continued with the back step and pulling him into the shoulder throw.  Feels good, but I still want to get timing down to get them on their toes just as I'm throwing.  Had to tell Ben not to lean over too soon which I've seen a lot of my partners do with these types of throws connect them to your upper body before you lean over.

I found myself opening my guard too soon before I had the ankles grabbed.  Tried to overcome that.  And, just focused on the squeeze and hang as I have been for the butterfly sweep.  Greg really hit it home today that the sweep is not about using your knee to kick them away but how your hips turn.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 2 min), Butterfly Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Ben, Mike, Morgan, Tom, Greg

I've solidified the hip bump as a contingency for when someone escapes my cross guard.  It happened a couple times last week and a couple times this week as they attempted to get away from my cross sleeve grab they pull their hand too far to one side and I'm able to sit up and go over their shoulder.  Nice addition and very smooth.

I believe I was able to prevent my guard getting passed today (except Greg).  Probably the coolest thing I did was when someone had me stacked but I had a sleeve grab I was able to recover to turtle and roll for an omoplata. 

I don't remember much of the beginning of the roll with Greg.  I felt like I had an opportunity to pass at one point but the moment had come and gone by the time I realized it.  After that I spent some time in half guard and then got swept, and then was in the bottom of mount trying to escape.  He was looking for the arm triangle but eventually settled for an armbar after getting me so uncomfortable.

Office Hours Partner: Tom

Went over some grip fighting and some of my ideas for starting a roll with Tom.  I gave my normal spiel of treat the grip fight like a boxing match.  I haven't boxed much but I like to juke and throw some jabs to get some reaction before I throw my power hand to get the grip that I want and then push them around a bit and get the other grip and stand.  When I defend I do my best not to let anyone have a grip for too long and if I break a grip off I keep a hold of it and use it to get an underhook or a different grip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment