Saturday, September 12, 2015

September 12th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Armbar from mount, Elbow Escape from Mount
Rolling/Game: Mount Position

Kid's have been doing great in class lately.  There's still the occasional tickling or what not and Jayden is still having trouble getting motivated for the warm-up but he'll have moments of doing well.  They both did well with the armbar these past weeks.  The elbow escape was a little more difficult because they wouldn't always trust their shrimp.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Jerad, Robert, Baeur, Gina, Henry, Alejandro, Mo, Bhuvana
Game Plan: Guard Retention, Controlling the pace

Jerad: Rolls with him have been a blast lately.  I feel like I'm challenged technically more than physically if that makes sense.  I've probably said this too much already but little things like some extra hip escapes and moving a little more have been making a big difference.

Robert: He's preparing for a fight so we went no gi.  Rolls with him are the opposite of Jerad.  They are really physical and fast paced but pretty straight forward technical-wise.  There's a lot of half guard going back and forth, many guillotine attempts, and some north/south. 

Bauer: Had a little back and forth with half guard.  I spent some time in mount and tried to setup the spiral armbar, but I went too fast and tried to lay down when I should have stayed up.  I went to grab the leg but it was too late, I really want to get this technique down.  Spent some time in north/south after that.

Gina: Our roll didn't last long, but I did feel like she had improved since our last roll.  She had me in mount and I escaped to quarter and then went for deep half but it affected an existing hip in the process.  So we quit after that, hopefully she's okay.

Henry: I tried to stay as relaxed as possible and try to fight smart.  He mentioned at one point that I was better at preventing his knee slide.  I had to work really hard to get out of an armbar attempt from side mount that he's gotten pretty good at setting up.  I was able to time it just right.  Somehow I ended up in mount in the end. 

Alejandro: I didn't feel like I did anything well against him today.  There was one point where I was in seated guard and had his sleeve between his legs, but he pulled it out before I could do anything with it.  His grip control is really amazing and something I need to watch him do more.  He went over his version of over/under pass with me which was informative.  He never goes to his knees with it, he get's his head around the front of their thigh to avoid the crossface problem, then to finish he'll sometimes for their legs back to center to kind of end up in a leg drag position.  Not sure how much I'm going to change my way, but it will be good to experiment. 

Mo: I called Mo over to work on some deep half guard stuff.  He's pretty new to the position but seemed to catch on to several of the tips that I gave from knee shield to underhook, to hiding the inside hand and keeping posture.  Hopefully it was informative.  We rolled for a bit and we ended up in weird back mountish half guard position.  He ended up catching me with a kimura/straight armlock that surprised me.

Bhuvana: She just wanted to work on a couple things.  I showed her the butterfly guard sweep that I've had success with lately.  We also did some NS choke troubleshooting as people have been escaping it lately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment