Saturday, October 17, 2015

October 17th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Double Leg, Triangle
Rolling/Game: Guard, Free Rolling

Good but small kids class today. Greg gave out some stripes but since my kids have 4 already they didn't receive any.  Both of them tried hard today with both the warmup and the techniques. We got there a little early and had some time to work on front rolls with Jayden and made some progress.

We've been doing some techniques each night before bed and that has been good for them.  This is the first week they've worked on the triangle and while they aren't great at finishing yet the steps came naturally.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Roland, Fuji, Mike, Travis, Conan, Lucas, Jerad
Game Plan: Look for Ankle Locks

Had a rough day of rolling today and several rolls reminded me that I'm not as good as I sometimes think I am.  I'm writing this on my phone so hopefully this doesn't seem poorly written.

I did do some nogi and went for some ankle locks but didn't have much success. I defended some as well.  I did see some of my reps come through in my attempts I think I need to work on finishing.

Roland is getting better. I had a harder time dealing with him than in the recent past.

Fuji was difficult to navigate and during our first roll I played as safe as I could and tried not to over commit to anything to retain the top position. There was a lot of turtle and shifting sides.  In our second roll he ended up getting a leg and taking the top position.

Today was Mike's day to dominate. While I did a few good things he seemed to get to leg drag position pretty easily. He attacked my back a lot and had me in crucifix after I attempted the funk roll.

This was the first time that rolled with Travis and it was fast paced.  I didn't feel like I could pin him at any point which is rather frustrating and kept me from Controlling the pace.  I had the bulk of the leg lock battle with him.  I attempted a straight ankle, a heel hook, and a toe hold on him and he caught me with a heel hook.  I used up a lot of energy in this roll.

Conan and I rolled pretty light.  I played some top side control and had to deal with his guard retention stuff that he's been showing to me.  I had to have patience. After we rolled we had a good discussion about ankle locks and what he thought of them.

Had a hell of a roll with Lucas. I started out with some shin on bicep guard but his pressure was immense and constant.  He passed my guard once and I regained. He eventually passed again and I was too weak to stop the americana.

I had nothing for Jerad. I tried but he went through me like butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment