Friday, October 30, 2015

October 30th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Armbar from Guard, Cross Collar Choke
Partner: Craig, Dave

Went and got my knee checked out yesterday with a chiropractor that visited class a few weeks ago.  He moved my leg in every imaginable way and made sure that everything was okay with my knee.  He gave me some exercises and said a couple muscles in my leg were pretty tight.  I felt like I had been through a workout after this session. 

Felt pretty good when I got up this morning, but was still a little hesitant to push it too hard during class.  Had a couple of times during the day where it felt weak or moved around a bit, but there was no pain. 

Dave was pretty impressed with the armbar from guard and for some reason Craig and I tried to talk him out of it.  To me it's a pretty tough submission to complete.  We showed him how easy it was to pull the arm out if it wasn't tight enough and maybe dissuaded him a little bit, but I felt bad about it. 


Rolling: Guard (6 x 4 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Dave, Craig, Josh, Anthony

Rolling went well, I did my best to attempt the techniques of the day.  From the bottom, I did get an armbar during a sweep but not technically the way we practiced it.  I was able to complete a couple collar chokes which really surprised me.  I think just going for the technique of the week has made me be a little more innovative on the fly. 

From the top I wasn't too active to make sure I didn't hurt myself but also to give my partner a chance to work on the techniques.  Most of the passes I did complete were from the knees.  I did attempt a tozi pass but wasn't able to open the guard in the end.

Office Hours Partner: Dave, Josh

Went over the drop shoulder throw some more with Dave.  He hasn't been working on it long but seems to do it well.  He was a little concerned with people telling him to just pull guard.  They're probably right, it's safer to pull guard but it would be cool to see him do the throw. 


Helped Josh with getting the overhook from guard.  Then went over troubleshooting dealing with my top guard game when he was on bottom.  I was pretty much not giving anything up and hunkering down.  My advice for him was to open his guard on his terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment