Wednesday, December 14, 2016

December 14th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Side Control: Tripod Escape, Kimura
Partner: Jess, Tom

Some tips on the techniques of the week:
  • Koshi Guruma: Don't grab the shoulder, squeeze their neck.
  • Tripod Escape: Once you get the underhook try to bump yourself down so your head won't run into their knee when you bridge and tripod.  This has helped me the most when trying to complete this technique.  
  • Kimura: You can't do this setup unless their hand is on your neck and you need to trap it there.  A couple of times during rolling people attempted this on me and when my hand wasn't there they weren't able to lockup the kimura.

Rolling: Side Mount
Rolled With: Jerad, Tom, John

Did well escaping side control.  I avoided getting submitted during this portion today but was unable to get out of Jerad's dominant positions. I went to deep half a few times or used an underhook to escape to turtle.

From the top I setup NS Choke and baseball bat choke.  Jerad again did a good job regaining guard.

Office Hours Partner: John, Morgan, Jerad

I confused John a little bit with my z-guard where I wrapped his lapel around his leg in a half guard.  I've been picking up a few things from the Bernardo Faria DVD that I recently purchased so look forward to more of that. 

Tried some different things when rolling with Jerad. Instead of going to half guard like I normally do I played some de la Riva and general open guard. It resulted in a sweep and I was on top for a while and passed his guard but I couldn't make anything happen submission-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment