Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 11th - Gi (Spent)

It was a rough night last night.  It was a little humid when we got started so I was already sweating a little.  Mike showed me a spider guard variation that was used in the Metamoris event which eventually turned into some light rolling.  We went right into warm-up and stretching after that.  I'm starting to get used to the neck exercises which I dreaded before.

The theme of the class was the guard recovery technique from side control that I mentioned in last Thursday's post. So everyone can thank me or hate me for all of the times that we drilled it.  The technique is performed when there is a little space before the top person has sunk into side control.  You shrimp out slightly and then go for an armbar and your other knee slides across their belly.  From their you recapture guard by bringing your leg to the other side of their head and then making space to bring your other leg around into guard or triangle.

First we worked on it as a defense where we would reset each time and perform the escape.  Then Greg had us treat it as an ongoing drill to escape and then the top person tries to pass on the other side and we would then do the technique on the other side rinse and repeat.  This got to be pretty difficult.  I didn't have too much problem with the bottom except for my timing probably not being perfect.  However, the top killed me.  It was very knee intensive with a lot of movement around my partner's legs.  We did this drill 2 times with 2-3 (it felt like a long time) minute rounds.

Then we did king of the mat, with a new caveat.  If you swept or submitted your opponent from guard, before your next partner you had to do push-ups.  Then the push-ups multiplied starting with 5 the first time and then 10 the next until you reached 25.  So it was a way to test the kings a little bit more and it seemed to work.  I ended up having to do a total of 10 push-ups.  I believe Jerad and Mike also completed some push-ups, but Greg took the cake by reaching the 25 and ultimately completing 75 push-ups.  I was probably quite a sight at the end.  My gi was soaked through with sweat and I could barely move.  I didn't quit but I wanted to a couple of times.

There was a point when the new guy (Brian?) had me in a weird kind of crucifix situation.  Pride took over a little bit and I didn't allow him to get a better position.  Now if it had been Adam or someone else better than me I might have just gave up and accepted the perceived inevitable outcome.  Probably need to restructure my thinking in these situations or else I'm always going to make it easier on my betters and we can't have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment