Friday, June 21, 2013

June 20th - Gi/No-Gi (Bachweek #4)

I did it.  Survived 4 days in a row of BJJ for a total of 9 grueling hours on the mats.  I think the training finally caught up to me because this night, although not as hard as the previous nights, kicked my ass. 

The beginner gi class started off as usual with the warm-up.  I found out really quick that my back was raw from gi burn and it hurt every time I bridged.  So I jumped into the locker room and threw a  rash guard on under my gi and felt better but it got a lot hotter.  We worked on escaping side control using the under hook and moving into a single leg.  We took it in chunks again and drilled bridging to tripod individually.  We then partnered up and worked it a little further into the single leg grab.  After several reps of that we completed the take down by either going to the back or sweeping by posting their knee.  We then trained escaping from side control with 2 minute rounds top and bottom. 

Adam was the only addition to the no-gi class and Jerad and Patrick stuck around.  We went through the warm-up again and even though I changed my clothes I still left a snail trail down the floor as I did my shrimps.  We practiced taking the back from the opponent turning away in side control.  This actually wasn't to bad even though I was exhausted.  We added on to the technique by the opponent trying to escape and we would use a butterfly hook and keep the seat belt and then reset to our original back take position.

We trained from the back and partnered up with everyone for 2 minute rounds from top and bottom.  This killed me and there were a few times I felt like I was going to hurl.  Greg allowed me to sit out a bit and cool off in front of our new fan (thank you Jerad!).  Our next drill I'll call the freeze and switch.  We started rolling and then after a minute and a half Greg would call out freeze and one of the people would get out and the next guy would go in and claim whatever position they wanted based on where the previous person was frozen.  After everyone taking the back Greg made the rule that you couldn't copy the previous positions.  Then it got a little more interesting.  I used deep half and crucifix on my turns. 

It was a rough night once I got home.  My stomach was freaking out but I didn't feel like I could hold anything down for a while.  I had to drink water slowly because I was so nauseous.  Laid there and did nothing for quite a while until I felt okay and finally had dinner around 11 pm.  Woke up feeling pretty good though and I've been pounding water all day.  Hopefully resting today will prepare me for tomorrow.

1 comment: