Wednesday, June 5, 2013

June 4th - Gi (Dig Deep)

Last night was quite a class.  Warm-up and stretching as per usual.   We've been finishing the warm-up with hand stand walking down the floor lately and I've been getting better at it.  Sometimes it's a little tough to go forward but I'm learning how to balance myself better.  My wrists ache a little bit after it and I'm not sure what that's about.

The focus of the class was on the knee slide pass.  Greg demonstrated it with more details than I'm used to.  I usually like to do it exclusively with an underhook but he had us start from open guard and get a good lapel grip and then work our way to the knee slide position and put pressure on their hip with our elbow.  I had a little trouble making my body get low and use my knees the way they are supposed to.  Mostly from habit and a little fear, but I'm not having any pain so I should just get over it.  I worked with Mike and new Jerad through this version and then we did the half guard tripod to knee slide which did use the underhook.

After that we trained hard.  Greg had us partner up in 4 groups.  I was designated to play butterfly guard, while the others in my row Fuji: spider, Adam: half, and Mike: closed guards.  We did 3 minute rounds of trying to sweep or pass and then the other row would rotate.  So I got a lot of butterfly guard practice.  I was amazed at how many basic butterfly sweeps I was able to complete.  I just kept going for the underhook, head under their chin and then overhook the other arm.  Once I got there I could complete it.  There were a few times I had to go to the other side and just switch my overhook.  It worked great until I was sitting across from Greg, then it all stopped worked.  After we went through the whole row, we switched sides and now I was the guard passer against the different types of guards.  As Greg suggested, I tried my best to incorporate the knee slide where I could.  I also did a few half guard side pass (I don't know what it's called but I use it a lot).

After all of that I was dragging ass.  I had to really dig deep to complete my last 3 minute round with Greg and then we did 10 reps of a sweep of our choice.  I thought I was going to lose my dinner, but I made it through despite moving a little slow to reset for each new rep.  I haven't felt this way for a good while.  It was like my body didn't want to cooperate with my mind.

Greg, Mike, and I talked about a lot of things after class.  From how to learn new techniques in Jiu-Jitsu to college experiences to politics.  It was quite informative but I was a little out of it and didn't contribute much.  One positive to last night was my knees did not ache like they usually do after class.  They actually felt strong and normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment