Tuesday, June 18, 2013

June 17th - Gi (Bachweek #1)

My wife took off with the kids and left me.  Don't worry she just took them to her dad's for a little vacation.  So, I'm bachen it up for the week and plan to train Jiu-Jitsu as much as possible.  It started off with a double header of advanced and beginner classes.

Advanced: 10 or 11 people showed up for class including Robert Rojas who I haven't seen in a while.  We did a regular warm-up with the addition of the Homer shoulder walk.  Hand stand walking is getting easier and my wrists didn't hurt afterwards like usual.  Neck exercises also seem to be getting easier to handle.

The technique of the day was the over/under pass.  Probably considered my goto pass from kneeling.  It can be deceptive to someone unfamiliar with it as they often think that they are setting up for a triangle until I'm in side control.  Of course I have a problem passing my betters with this pass.  Mike helped quite a bit tightening the technique up.  He's so small and low to the ground that it was difficult to get good position on him sometimes, but I felt more confident in the pass at the end of drilling.  Greg added a contingency leg drag if the pass wasn't a success which I think will be a great addition to my game if I can remember to do it.

During king of the mat I spent was able to pass a couple of times and had some really close calls.  I was even able to setup my cross grab to omaplata on Ray but ended up not being able to sweep or submit and getting passed.  I may need some brush up instruction on this technique.  After each round I felt like a hot mess.  Humidity was getting to me again but I think my increased water intake might have helped a little bit.

Beginner: I was pretty out of it for this class.  The warm-up was especially difficult; I could barely shrimp down the floor due to sweating so much and not being able to get traction in my sweat trail.  We trained some hip throws and then taking mount from reverse kesa side control.  I worked with Adam for pretty much the whole class.  Then we did a few rounds of position rolling starting from side control.  For sure on Wednesday I'm going to bring an extra gi as it was pretty gross once it was soaked.

No comments:

Post a Comment