Friday, January 10, 2014

January 10th 2014 - Gi (Jittery)

Theme & Techniques: Triangle Choke from overhook w/ various alternatives

I'm going to say right now that the triangle choke is not high percentage for me, however whenever we work on it in class I seem to have the technique down.  The place I get stuck the most is where I get to the triangle position with my ankles crossed but then can't figure out how to cinch it up from there without them posturing up.  While working on it today with Brian I felt the most natural that it's ever felt.  It made me feel like trying to develop it in rolling, almost.

I like the overhook setup as you can keep their posture pretty broken down and under control.  After the basic setup we moved on to trying to armbar and making it a little easier to get our leg over the jump rope arm.  We finally moved into more familiar territory with some omoplata stuff.

Rolling: Free Rolling (5 x 5 min rnds)

I think I get a great deal out of classes where I am the middle experience guy.  While Conan handles me with ease, I have to struggle use my brain, and fight for every inch.  Still I'll lose and get smashed but it's a workout and I hopefully improve my defense.  With Brian I could flow a bit more try some different things I'm working on and be more offensive (hopefully he didn't get offended). 

Probably the coolest thing of the morning was when I pulled off a little trick that I saw in the video below.  I know that Jerad and Mike have been doing this for a while but after watching the video it finally dawned on me how/when I could use it.  I was attempting to pass Brian's guard standing and I felt like I could knee cut over his shin but it would probably just put me into his knee shield.  Redirecting after the cut worked perfectly!

After class I felt pretty jittery and couldn't calm down.  I attribute it to laying off of caffeine for the past 2 weeks and then taking half a 5 hour energy to get me up in the wee hours this morning.  The energy boost didn't last too long, but it's making me think about staying off soda even after the tournament, we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment