Friday, January 10, 2014

January 9th 2014 - No Gi

Theme & Techniques: Obscure Side Control escapes

Once again the beginner class was huge and only a hand full of us were in the advanced class.  Hopefully some of the new guys will be able to start attending the advanced classes, I'm not sure what the criteria is though. 

Conan described the side control escapes as requiring a little finesse and timing.  It's the truth, I've tried the first one we did in the past and have had a difficult time with it.  It's heavily dependent on the other person's leg position.  If they went to a kessa gitama to prevent the first defense then we did the bump and flatten out escape, which I did a little better.  The 3rd technique we did was a little better.  It was a variation on the knee across the belly escape, that we would turn into a modified butterfly sweep.  The final technique was a reverse sweep off of a failed scissor sweep.

Rolling: Free Rolling (4 x 6 min rnds)

My biggest problem today was my butterfly guard kept getting shut down.  I just didn't feel like I could get in a good position to attempt the sweep.  Conan wanted us to go easy on each other and try to use pure technique and no strength.  While I'd like to think that I do that, I found that I had to remind myself to calm down a little bit.  It was easier to do that with Conan because he has a way of setting the pace, but I'm not sure if Adam got the memo cause it felt like rolling normal with him.  Adam did however play some different positions that he normally doesn't, like knee on belly.  I also rolled with Jordan.  We both spent the majority of the roll trying to pass each others guard.  Probably a good goal for the beginning of the year is to improve my no gi guard passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment