Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January 14th 2014 - Gi Noon & Evening

Noon
Theme & Techniques: Shoulder Throw RNC Defense, Farside Armbar, Scissor Sweep

My coworker Bhuvana returned once again, we'll convert her to BJJ yet.  John and Air Force Brian were also in attendance.  I guess Jordan's schedule has changed so he may be missing our noon bromoplata sessions.

I worked with Bhuvana for the technique portion of the class.  She seems to be doing well at breaking down the moves and following the directions step by step.  She had a little trouble with the first one, mostly because a shoulder throw is a little daunting at first but I let her down nicely.  It took a little time but she was able to throw me without any trouble.

The other techniques went about the same she'd memorize the steps and then carry them out in order.  Later back at work, we equated BJJ to software programming with Guard being a our main class which inherits from position and defining collar grip as a variable and calling the shrimp class etc.  Well, I guess it's kind of an inside joke.

Rolling: Side Control & Guard Position, Mock Tournament Match

It took it pretty easy on her but tried to make her work for the techniques that we worked on in class.  After that Brian and I started from the feet and I did the best I could to not give up any points and maintain my gas tank.  On our third roll I was a little too lax and he got me in side control and then took my back off of a failed straight arm escape.  I've been working on this escape, so I'm a little confused what happened.  We drilled our techniques for a while after that.  For some reason work is more important than BJJ, so I had to leave after that.

Evening
Theme & Techniques: Knee in Side control escape, Farside Armbar, Breaking Armbar grip

Greg offered to have me come in a little early and drill some variations on the straight arm escape that he saw on MG in Action.  Pretty cool to get some extra reps in and be asked to stop by a little early.  The technique was a response to if they sucked their arm in instead of allowing it to go straight.  I tried looking for a chance to use it today during rolling but it never came up.

Anthony, a potential student, named showed up for class tonight.  He had worked out with us a couple times at Roseberry's and did some Judo in the past so he was able to jump right into class.  I ended up partnering up with him for the technique portion.  I'm getting better with the side control escape, I think the main factor that I was missing before was pointing my knee to the sky, that seemed to make all the difference.  The gem of the day was a slight tweak to the far side armbar.  I asked Greg if there was a way to avoid getting the foot caught in their armpit and he said to either knee slide over their arm or make a shuffle step before going farside.  That made all of the difference and hopefully my armbars won't be foiled by that technicality in the future. 

Rolling: Side Control Gauntlet, Free Rolling

Greg, Jerad, and I started on the bottom of side control and then after each round we would get a new white belt victim.  After we went through everyone, then the roles reversed and the upper belts were on top and cycled through all of the white belts.  I feel quite good with my performance from both positions.  I used the straight arm escape several times and I'm getting a little better at rolling when they try to step over my head.  Henry gave me the most trouble, he did a great job of preventing my half guard and always threatening to pass again.

I then rolled with Anthony, Greg, and Jerad.  Greg was on a back hunt and succeeded several times.  Although I did surprise him momentarily with a scissor sweep that he recovered from all too quickly.  Anthony seemed to be gassed a little bit and while he knows what he's doing I think his major problem was being a little too greedy by trying to pass guard right into mount and things of that nature.  I don't think it would take him long though to tighten up his game and eliminate some of those mistakes. 

Jerad lately has probably been the most frustrating person to roll with.  He seems to know my game all too well.  Later on he said I am waiting too much for him to do something instead of mounting my own strategy and attack. He often knows what I want to do and he won't give it to me so I'm forced to either resort to alternate techniques or keep attempting the one I want.  We later discussed this and he gave the same advice that I'm hearing from Mike, to be more active in guard.  I have to impose my game on my opponent.  He also went over a cool quarter guard trick that will be very useful from this day forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment