Thursday, January 16, 2014

January 16th 2014 - No Gi


Theme & Techniques: Fit-in Takedowns, Guillotine Choke from guard and a follow up

I showed up with my brand spanking new rash guard that I just received in the mail before coming to class.  Lo and behold Conan and Jorge also had the same idea.  We got made fun of a little but it's still a cool rash guard and I'll wear it whenever I want to.


I asked Greg if it was okay for me to train gi during no gi class since it was going to be the last class before Saturday's tournament.  However, I am now planning on going back tomorrow morning, so I'm going to make this post short.  My nerves have been shot all day and I've found it difficult to be my calm laid back self (at least that's how I see myself).  I switched my music during work to some rock ballads and tried to get my mind off it as much as I could.  I know I'll do fine and I feel good, but it appears this is something that I can't control because it happens every time I compete. 

I was partnered up with Henry, Monsieur Guillotine, for the technique portion of class.  The follow up technique was the cool part.  If they were hand fighting the choke, we would butterfly sweep them into a quarter mount tripod position and then use our knee to slide on their bicep and break their grip.  Apparently this is another one from Marcelo Garcia.

Rolling: Light? Free Rolling, Drilling

Henry had to take off which left me and Mike as the only gi wearers.  We did a couple of matches that were supposed to be light but we got carried away a couple of times.  You really can't give him an inch because he'll find a way to stick a foot or knee in that space and exploit it.

After we rolled we drilled pieces of our respective game plan, which I won't go into.  Mike had some good tips for me on a few things that we were working on, which helped determine what I drilled.  I consider him a true asset to our school.

It's probably being a little paranoid but I already know a few people from other schools in the area that read my blog.  I suppose if you've read previous recent posts you know what I'm good at and like to do and probably would I'm bad at and get caught with.  Fuji directed me to some videos of a few guys that are potentially in my division, so I would assume that many would try to do this type of research.  So for better or worse, my Jiu-Jitsu is cataloged in this blog.

1 comment:

  1. watch out for Josh's flying dragon crouching turtle submission, guys!

    ReplyDelete