Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January 28th 2014 - Noon & Evening

Noon
Theme & Techniques: Standing Headlock Defense, Guard break and single under pass

A new guy, Nick, joined us today as well as Bhuvana, Fuji, and Jordan.  The headlock defense consisted of blocking the far arm and then going to a valley drop type of takedown.  It was done a little differently than I'm used to by making more of a circular stepping motion in front of them before performing the trip.  It worked way better.

The guard break was standard, but we don't practice the single under pass that often.  There were a couple of key things that I didn't know specifically.  Like grabbing the gi collar with the thumb inside and putting pressure straight forward and getting their hips off the ground before moving around to complete the pass. 

Rolling: Guard Position (4 x 2 min rnds, Free Rolling)

I partnered up with Fuji and Nick for the guard position.  Fuji and I both gave each other a hard time and we were able to pass each others guard.  Nick did well for his third class.  He had a pretty good base and didn't just crumble in guard.

Fuji trapped me in lasso guard the both times we rolled.  I have no good answer for that currently but I'm working on it.  I spent a little time on top our second roll and it was futile for me to try north/south choke, but I did anyway.  He eventually submitted me both times with his brabo stuff from side control.  Jordan seemed more solid today.  I had to work pretty hard to keep him from passing my guard.  Grip fighting was key, which made my already sore fingers ache a little more.

Evening
Theme & Techniques: Guard Break and single under pass, paper cutter assist

One of the cool things about doing both Tuesday classes is we often review the same techniques in the second class so I can get more reps.  In the past I might have thought it was boring but now I'm of the mind that drilling techniques is as important as rolling.  I worked with Jerad and Henry for this portion of class.  We took turns causing the other person to make the "sounds of success" which is the noise you make when your knee is put to your nose and the opponent uses their pressure.  Greg reminded everyone that to create the good pressure you should not raise your butt in the air but instead stay low push into them.  Jerad complimented me on the ability to do that well.  This was cool and I owe it to working on the over/under pass so much and trying to get over the butt in the air problem. 

Doing the follow up paper cutter technique was pretty rough.  If someone isn't letting you pass, you grab their belt and lift their hips up a little higher and then drive your forearm into their neck.  They often help you pass after that.

Rolling: King of the mat Closed guard position, Free Rolling

Jorge and I had a pretty good battle from his guard.  I just couldn't get his guard open.  He did a good job of fighting grips and messing with my posture.  At one point I went for the standing guard break and was being a little too hasty and impatient and he almost swept me with the double ankle sweep.  I was able to recover and just kept working until he eventually opened his guard and I wouldn't let him close it back up again until I passed.

I also had a few battles with Jerad.  I tried to work all configurations of my guard passing game leg drag, torreando pass, over under, knee cut, rinse repeat.  Finally a leg drag worked and I was able to get in to back mount.  Our second time I felt about the same working really hard to throw every pass at him and then he blasted up to a perfectly timed double leg out of nowhere.  That was awesome.

Jerad and I rolled in free rolling.  We spent a majority of time with me trying to pass his guard again.  Eventually he ended up in my guard before time ran out.  I don't remember much more than that.  Jorge started off by passing my guard which was a lazy mistake on my part.  From there I regained half guard and had a little trouble getting into the position that I wanted against his pressure.  I eventually swept and then passed the guard just to have the time run out.  Kudos to Jorge, I've got to keep my game sharp with these new guys coming up.

After class I got some pointers from Jerad on the low knee cut.  It's a pretty cool idea how he was doing it against two butterfly hooks with some distance.  Ray gave some pointers on deep half.  I think I may need to review some of the techniques from there as this position has been presenting itself in rolling lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment