Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 21st 2014 - Gi Noon & Evening (I Must Insist)

Noon
Theme & Techniques: Hip Throw, Armbar from Guard, Cross Collar Choke from Guard, Personal Drilling

First class since the tournament.  I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to go about improving based on my performance.  My idea is to be more insistent on what I want, especially from guard.  I'm not sure what that means yet, but rolling a little harder is one of the aspects.  I think I currently play a little too safe and too lazy especially in guard.

I worked with Jordan for the technique portion.  Both techniques caused me a little trouble.  With the armbar it was tough to get my hips in the right place.  For the choke getting my forearm under his chin was the issue.  However, the rest of the choke is coming together finally.  Greg had us choose a technique to work on drill it for 5 or 6 minutes.  I chose the side control stiff arm escape. 

Rolling: Free Rolling

We rolled with everyone.  I felt like I picked up the pace with Jordan and Greg.  Jordan is getting much better and I fear he's close to catching me one of these days.  It was fun to roll with Greg as I pushed the pace more than usual.  I ended up catching Jordan with a north/south choke.  I felt like I held on to guard a lot longer but inevitably he armbarred me and then took my back the second time.  I did take a kick in the lip from Greg during the armbar, to which he was very apologetic for.  I also rolled with John and played a little more loose with him.  Did some spider guard until I could sweep and then attacked from top.

Evening
Theme & Techniques: Armbar from guard, Triangle from guard, Knees together sweep

We did the same armbar from guard as the noon class but then followed it up with a triangle if we couldn't pull their arm away.  Adam and I both had trouble locking up the triangle but we could usually finish the triangle armbar. We had fun with the knees together sweep.  It seemed like I naturally went to the same side every time.

Rolling: Guard Gauntlet, Free Rolling

For guard gauntlet, I was assigned full guard with the intent that I would play cross guard.  It worked for the most part.  I had the most trouble with Mike, Jorge, and Brian, but in the end only had my guard passed twice I think.  I just have to keep in my head to be more aggressive from guard and go for what I want.

I rolled with Jerad first and probably surprised him a little bit by being more aggressive from the start, plus it was first roll Jerad.  I attacked from the top and hit my north/south choke which has miraculously returned as one of my go to moves.  I then received the wrath of second roll Jerad which turned crazy fast where he was always just a little bit ahead and I defended the best I could.  This is the kind of rolling I need to get better I think.  It's better for my cardio and better to prepare me for future tournaments.  I went with Jorge next and after sweep to side control I was able to secure my 3rd north/south choke of the day.  I wonder what has changed to make this technique viable for me again.

Tournament Videos:

Here are 3 of my 4 fights from last weekend.  The one missing was my third match against Nolan.  He dominated me thoroughly in that one from side control so probably boring to watch.  I may upload it at a later date. 

Follow this link to see all of my teammates' videos: 2014 Circle of Iron LBJJC

Josh vs Nolan #1
Josh vs Nolan #2
Josh vs Kassius (Open Division)
 

2 comments: