Friday, February 14, 2014

February 13th 2014 - No Gi

Theme & Techniques: Pummeling, Granby Roll from Turtle

Had a pretty good session today and got some good training in.  I was pleasantly surprised to see Bauer back decked out in his new unicorn rash guard.  He said that his schedule was clearing up so hopefully he'll be around more often.  I ended up working with him on the pummeling and technique.  

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Turtle, Free Rolling

We had 3 groups and 8 people so there wasn't much rest before you had to go again with a new partner.  Turtle position goes pretty fast anyway you either escape or get put into a bad position after a quick scramble.  Had some successes and got caught a couple of times.  It is a position I need to improve upon as Ray has pointed out where I usually lose is when I'm out wrestled.  So I think that is going to be my focus, trying to improve on the turtle/sprawl position.  Maybe look into the switch, sit-out, and guillotine.

I rolled with Will, Bauer, and Henry.  My main concern with Will was to stay out of his guard.  I've found him to be rather dangerous their and I know he's been working on the armbar and has caught me a couple times.  So as soon as he opened his guard I postured as much as I could.  I did better against Bauer than I ever had before.  I worked a lot from mount which was odd, normally I feel much more comfortable in side control.  I didn't have much confidence in my mounted triangle but I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with anything else so I decided to try it and was able to pull it off.  Battling with Henry was another story.  He took it to me as usual and I had a hard time keeping up.  I think being a little out of breath and knowing that Henry is a beast messed with my head a little bit and I probably gave up on a few things I shouldn't have.  I avoided his guillotines but he did pay me back for Bauer with his own mounted triangle.  Rolling with Henry really solidified my need to improve my wrestling...and cardio.  


No comments:

Post a Comment