Thursday, February 20, 2014

February 20th 2014 - No Gi

Theme & Techniques: Side Mount Switch from Opponent Underhook

Greg only had us work on one move and didn't need to spend too much time on instruction.  The technique was an answer to having the opponent turn into you from side control with an underhook.  If the darce was not available we would use the whizzer and hook their neck and then run around them to the other side.  I partnered with Will for this.  It was pretty slick and worked well although in the future I need to keep my hips lower while I'm switching sides.

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Side Control, KOM Guard, KOM start neutral for points

Had a pretty good day all around.  I was so excited for a split second that I was able to pull off the move that we worked on earlier against Henry but I think because my hips were too high he was able to snake his head out and regain guard.  I think I said something on the lines of "but...but...I did the move!"  More drilling and playing around with it required.  I had some good battles with everyone including Henry, Mike, Greg, Jerad, Will, and Pedro.

Some highlights that I remember:
  • I almost passed Greg's guard, I think, well almost is still a long way to go.
  • Regained guard by attempting a knee bar and then coming out to butterfly
  • Went for a toe hold on Mike and had the hand position right but couldn't get leverage to pull his leg away from his butt
  • Setup an omoplata from closed guard and finished it
  • Got swept by Jerad easily
  • Henry is good at timing a transition to sitting up and doing a double leg from guard
  • There were a couple times when I sat to guard accepting a sweep when I should have insisted on fighting for the top position. A bad habit I need to work on.
  • Went for deep half against Henry and he stood up, should research what to do when this happens.
  • I called Henry a slippery asshole at one point when he escaped a guillotene and then passed my guard and probably shouldn't have.  I was joking of course but could have probably chosen better words.
Sending out good thoughts to my teammate, Gina, who has a bulging disk and some pinched nerves.  I know what it's like to have a nagging injury and not being able to train.  I hope everything goes well with her recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment