Sunday, February 23, 2014

February 22nd 2014 - Kids Class & Open Mat

Kid's Class:

Once again I was happy with how my kids performed in class.  I kind of wish they wanted to work on things more at home but hopefully that will come with time.  As long as they're still excited to go, I'm happy.  Greg started running two rings for sumo and sumo foot tag, which makes it go a lot more smoothly.  Jayden and Jace both looked more aggressive and were using some good strategy. 

Open Mat:

Ray: I don't feel like I can move him.  He's just so solid and it seems like he toys with me most of the time.  I rolled with him in both gi and no gi.  He didn't do too many leg submissions but there were a few.  A couple of the things I did well was put him in single leg-x but wasn't able to do much with it, played with cross guard a bit.  I attempted some armdrags and took his back once, although I think he let me because he did his usual of trying to ankle lock me and then moving to deep half.  There was one point when he had me in mount and everytime I tried to buck I could feel him try to setup the armbar, I had to be careful not to fall for that.

Conan: We didn't really roll but went over some butterfly guard and single leg-x or x-guard set-ups.  I wish I had rolled with him, because he always gives me some good pointers afterwards.

Henry: There is no opportunities to rest with Henry, and apparently I need to rest sometimes.  The place where I lose the most often is when he transitions from side control to turtle and then wrestling happens.  I need to figure out some answers to this because Henry's not the only one that does this to me.  He submitted me with a baseball bat choke that he's been working on.

Jorge: He has been starting off pretty aggressively from guard lately when we first start out.  However, once I am able to pass I can usually keep him in side mount until I can submit or time runs out.  He seems to know where to keep his elbows and arms and I wish I had his seemingly natrual ability to prevent submissions.  It's only a matter of time before he figures out side control defense and makes it much harder for me.

Fuji: I was hopeful at the beginning when he didn't attempt to put me into lasso guard and I was able to pass into side control.  I wasn't able to make anything happen submission-wise and eventually he was able to get to his knees and then double leg me.  From there he passed my guard and then got me with the usual brabo stuff.  Mike tried to give me some pointers on dealing with getting my leg caught in turtle.  I think I'm going to need some more help with this.

Sam: We rolled a few times and then I went over the basics of butterfly guard hook sweep.  Hopefully I did the technique some justice.

Brian: Somehow we got on the subject of military and me being a Marine and Brian being Air Force.  So I guess I had to represent.  He started off by trying a pass that I've fell for before that goes directly into back mount, with some fancy legwork I was able to pull him into closed guard.  I swept with a hip heist, which I haven't attempted in a while and stayed in mount for a while.  He did a good upa attempt but I was able to turn it into an armbar.  In our second roll somehow I was able to get back mount and worked my way to a bow and arrow, even though I really wanted an RNC.  After that I shouted "Oorah Marine Corps!" which is something that you'll never hear me say.  After that Ray and Fuji tried to set me up with more military matches: Navy (Mike) and Army (Conan).  I don't think I would represnt well in either of those cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment