Wednesday, February 26, 2014

February 25th 2014 - Gi Noon & Evening

Noon
Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard

I was kind of surprised to see us work on the technical stand-up because I don't remember the last time it was taught in class.  It's how I get up from the floor almost every time.  So I probably don't need too much extra practice, but there were people present that may have been doing it for the first time.

I worked with Bhuvana once again for the technique portion and she did fine.  Hip bump sweep can be a little difficult to learn especially getting up onto the hand and hitting with the hips.  Then I walked her through the kimura and the only issue she had with that was keeping the elbow on her chest instead of pulling the arm away from her body.

Rolling: Guard Position (6 x 2 min rnds), Free Rolling

Bhuvana seemed a little flustered in the first round and didn't really know what to do.  I swept her a couple times and then walked her through the basic guard pass and break.  Then from the bottom I let her do the hip bump but gave her more resistance than when we were drilling.  I worked with Adam from Hastings next and he surprised me.  I really had to work to keep him from passing my guard and to pass as well, but some of my tricks came through for me.  I finished position sparring with Ben who I wasn't going to take lightly since I learned how strong he was last week.  I did a lot more hand fighting and went for armbars whenever he brought his arm too high on my chest.  I worked on the standing guard break with both Ben and Adam with some success.

After class dismissed I had a long roll with Adam and felt pretty confident in the beginning but as time went on I got tired and eventually felt mentally beaten.  I started off working my cross guard game and going for a lot of omoplatas. At one point he stacked me pretty good stretching my neck, which still is a little tight.  I was able to sweep him using the hip bump from early and saw an opportunity for a mounted triangle but was not able to lock it up and lost top position and spent most of the rest of the match in half guard.  I attempted a few kimuras from half guard but was unable to sweep with them.  After thinking about it later I should have attempted the tornado guard sweep or the back take using the kimura.  I got pretty stuck and was unable to mount a good defense.  Eventually I started to gas and he was able to pass my guard and attempted an arm triangle.  It was very uncomfortable but not choking and eventually he abandoned it and went for an americana and turned it into an armbar.  Props to him for going the distance, it was a long match.  It's more proof that I need to improve my cardio and I need to set the pace for my rolls and not play the other guys game.  Also it's just training and I should be trying more things instead of stalling in a position.

Evening
Theme & Techniques: Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard, Hip Bump counter to Backtake

I worked with Ross on the technique portion and we got some good reps in.  He had the problem of not getting up to his hand at first which everyone has when the start the technique.  The only issue he had with the kimura was he needed to pivot his body more.  The third technique was amazing and I hope I'm able to use it some day.  Basically when someone goes for the hip bump you grab their pant leg and kick back and out over the leg you've grabbed and circle around behind them.  It looks a lot more complicated than it is. 

Rolling: King of the Mat Closed Guard

We had a visitor, Israel, who is a purple belt that moved here from New Mexico.  I only partnered with him for king of the mat 2 or 3 times and didn't feel like it was enough to get a sense of his game.  Hopefully he sticks around because it's great to get someone with a different game and experience to broaden our knowledge base.

I became king a couple times and held on to the title for a few rounds.  Instead of the king staying in until they are beaten Greg put a cap of 3 rounds in guard for a king, so that provided opportunities for newer guys to play guard once in a while.  I think this is better than the old way.  Something I've been thinking about incorporating into my cross guard game is the star sweep when the stand up.  Usually I just keep trying for the omoplata but I think this is a great alternative route.  I was able to pull one off today.  I did a few omoplata sweeps, passed a few guards, and got swept a couple of times.  I recall going a few rounds with Jerad, Fuji, Israel, Sam, Mo, Ross, Will, and Greg.  Will and I finished out the session with me on bottom.  He was working very closely from guard and nullifying a lot of my usual stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment