Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 18th 2014 - Gi Noon & Evening (Absolutely Nothing)

Noon
Theme & Techniques: Shoulder throw, Back mount cross collar choke, Guillotine

Worked with Bhuvana on the technique portion of class.  While Greg had to help her with a couple of details with the chokes, she was able to do everything in class very well.  This would begin a rough day of chokes for me though. 

Rolling: Back Mount Position (2 x 2 min rnds), Guard Positional (2 x 2 min rnds), Free Rolling

Had to stay on my toes while trying to keep Bhuvana in my back mount.  Her instinct was to grab my fingers to help try to pry my hands away.  Of course this is something useful for self defense but it's good to avoid it during class to prevent injury, as well as putting more focus on the techniques as they are more important.  After all if I'm in a better position than my opponent and they start playing dirty with finger breaks etc, I am in a much better position to do those same things back to them.  She did well and is actually difficult to keep down.

We did guard passing after that and I worked with new guy Ben.  He actually surprised me a little bit.  While he used too more strength than he should have I had to step it up a little bit to make sure he didn't pass my guard.  Passing his guard was a little easier, I assume he doesn't have very much experience on his back, but is a handful on top.

I rolled with Tim after class.  The other day we discovered that we have some common family in that he is my cousin's wife's uncle.  Which reminds me of a scene from space balls.  I can see he's already progressing since I rolled with him last week during open mat.  He's learned about posture and position.  We discussed why everyone was sweeping him from butterfly guard and some things to keep in mind.  Bhuvana was super excited that she witnessed me catch Tim with an armbar and she was recognizing what happened.  


Had a great roll with Greg even though he made me look a little silly.  I heard from Bhuvana later that once he had set up a technique he had given them a funny look to let them know he had me.  I did escape an armbar at one point but it put me in the prime spot for him to take my back.  After that it was getting close to time to head back to work, so I told him to submit me as fast as possible and he was able to footlock me within a minute or less.

Evening
Theme & Techniques: Shoulder Throw, Back Mount Cross Choke, Bow and Arrow

I was partnered with Brian (Sweeney Todd) and had a good time working with him.  The coolest thing was a comment that he made about it being cool working with a blue belt because he was learning some extra tidbits to each technique.  It was fun to witness him learn the bow and arrow for the first time. 

Rolling: Back Mount Position Up/Down/Out, Free Rolling (2 x5 min rnds)

I attempted to work on the RNC again during my turns in back mount.  I wasn't able to complete one and usually resorted to a bow and arrow if I could.  I've found that I've been going to face down back control which is something that I never did before.  It's a very empowering position.  In my final round I was with Ross and I kept attempting to lock his hands up but was unable to.  I'll have to ask Greg for some more tips on the back mount to hand trapping and finishing with RNC.

I rolled with Will for free rolling and had a tough time dealing with his sleeve grips.  We eventually ended up with me on top in side control but he had a good pant hold.  It took some doing to get free of that.  I moved to mount and then back and I believe I pulled off a bow and arrow.  I rolled with Brian to finish the class out.  I was attempting to setup the baseball bat choke from knee on belly but I could tell he was getting very uncomfortable and frustrated in the position and looking like he was about ready to tap (been there several times).  I went over the basic knee on belly escape with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment