Sunday, February 2, 2014

February 1st 2014 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids:

Both my boys did well today.  They completed all of the exercises and Jace was even willing to partner up with another boy.  We played both foot and blob tag for our games, and somehow I managed to jam one of my toes in the process.  I roll around with guys my size trying to submit me and I end up hurting a toe playing tag with a bunch of ankle biters.  The technique they worked on was opa escape from the mount.  As long as they're actually paying attention, I'm always surprised at their ability to remember the details of the techniques that Greg teaches.  Some of them do have quite a few steps.  

Open Mat:

I didn't really feel like coming in today, which is very odd for me.  It was more like I didn't feel like I was going to be able to give it my all.  My main goal for the day was going to fight to prevent my opponent from getting into side control.  Primarily fighting until the position until I was no longer able to and not settling for it

I rolled with Jerad first and we had a few accidents between the two of us.  First the finger that has been bugging me got twisted while I was trying to pass his guard.  I taped it up a lot more and we continued.  I then was playing half guard and in the process of reaching for a collar grip I almost poked him in the eye.  Finally he attempted a rolling back take from quarter guard and as we rolled around I ended up elbowing him in the nose.  Other than that he caught me with an armbar and a mounted triangle.

Henry was next, my main goal was to not gas out and go with the flow.  It worked pretty well at first, he turtled and I used the judo turnover to take his back, which he started to escape and I locked up a arm triangle.  Our next roll he took it to me and I did end up eventually gassing.  He had caught me in a arm triangle for a little while trying to return the favor, but he gave up on it.I did some good things especially pulling off an omoplata sweep.  In the end he was able to take my back and eventually pulled off a bow and arrow choke.

Wes surprised me today from the top position.  I made the mistake of attempting a baseball bat choke and giving up my guard from the start.  From there he had great pressure and made it difficult for me to move.  I eventually worked my way into deep half and then x-guard and finally did the technical stand-up sweep.  As tired as I was there was no way I was going to let him get back on top.  I eventually setup a baseball bat choke from knee on belly which took a few tries to get right.

I went no gi with Ray and was feeling pretty confident for a little while attacking from top half guard.  Until he was transitioning and caught me in an accidental knee bar with his legs.  It probably wasn't tap worthy but I panicked due to my previous injury.  In our second roll I started in guard but couldn't get much of anything going.  I can't remember how it ended, must have been a kimura or something.  Afterwards I asked him to go over some ankle lock stuff which was very helpful.  We looked at the one legged-x guard as well as an entry from knee shield half guard which I didn't know about.

Fuji told me that he was having a good time reading the blog from the beginning.  He said there were several times that he recalled being there for.  He also reassured me that he's gone through many of the same emotions and stumbling blocks that I've gone through and written about.  He also made the comment that I've been through so much but still think I suck.  I attribute this to a couple of reasons.  I have a hard time with boasting to the point of self deprecation.  I don't want any of my teammates to feel bad that I write about submitting them, which is why I keep reporting my submissions to a minimum.  In the end it is all about keeping the ego in check. 

No comments:

Post a Comment