Friday, February 14, 2014

February 14th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Back Mount basic escape, RNC

Once again, we had a good crew for our sole weekly early morning class.  Brian and Ross as well as new guys Austin and Mike.  I ended up working with Mike on the technique stuff.  He's had some training so we were able to get some good reps in with me having to help him out a few times. 

Rolling: Back Position, Free Rolling


My objective in both positional sparring and free rolling was to complete the RNC.  It turned out to be more difficult than I had hoped.  I have even more respect for Greg's ability to secure this technique.  I did feel like I was figuring out what tricks work for me when trying to secure the choke.  As Fuji says, I just need to be meaner, it's not a who can be gentle contest.  Although I wanted to I didn't resort to the bow and arrow and kept working for the RNC. 

Highlights from free rolling included a few butterfly sweeps, played a little single leg-x guard and pulled off the sweep we worked on, hit a kimura, got a guillotine, hit a omoplata sweep, and took a few backs.  I'm not sure how to feel about things seeming to go so well on the mats lately.  I've been so used to writing how much I get crushed every class that the blog is becoming difficult to write and be truthful but not sound like I'm bragging.  I guess I'll need to partner up with Henry, Jerad, Ray, Fuji, Mike, Conan, and Greg tomorrow and get my ass kicked.

I rolled with Brian last roll and on our third roll I decided to start in the sprawl position.  I attempted to sit-out which almost worked but then he took my back and we fought from there until time ran out.  I think I'm going to do this more often since it was very easy for him to take my back from there.  I must stamp down the ego and work through this piece of my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment