Friday, February 28, 2014

February 27th 2014 - No Gi

Theme & Techniques: Maintaining Back Mount

Greg had us run a drill to deal with someone attempting the basic escape.  First we would use one of our hooks to get them to the side we wanted.  Then we would use a butterfly hook to turn them on their side.  Finally if they wouldn't allow the hook to come back in we would hook our feet and drive our hips into their back to get them to open up for the hook.  Pretty good drill and I've used it more than a few times since we worked on it last time.  I had partnered with Adam.

Rolling: Back Mount Position (12 x 3 min rnds), Free Rolling (5 min rnd)

We trained with everyone with one person resting each round.  I feel pretty good about my escaping and Conan helped me with a major epiphany.  When he was escaping my back mount his head would always seem to get in the way and push me out of position.  This is something I haven't been doing but it seemed to help when I was defending Greg's back mount.  I also partnered with Henry, Adam, Will, and Jerad and felt good about my performance. 

Will was my partner for free rolling.  I did my best to overcome his top guard pressure.  Once I made some space I was able to secure an omoplata.  In our next roll I had him mounted for a little while and he was able to create some space and drive a knee in.  I made a big mistake by bringing my knee across his body and he heel hooked me.  We talked about it after the class and he figured that if I would have went for the underhook I would have prevented the sub and we drilled it for a while.  This is a mount escape that I'd like to improve on for myself as well.

The muscles around my lower ribs felt pretty tight after class.  I'm not sure what is causing it; it could be the ab work that comes with working omoplatas or possibly my body adjusting to losing a little weight.  I'll keep an eye on it going forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment