Friday, February 21, 2014

February 21st 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques:  Shoulder Throw, Back Mount Cross Choke, Bow and Arrow
Shoulder Throw, Back Mount Cross Choke, Bow and Arrow - See more at: http://joshjiujitsujournal.blogspot.com/#sthash.1CyUj5AA.dpuf
Shoulder Throw, Back Mount Cross Choke, Bow and Arrow - See more at: http://joshjiujitsujournal.blogspot.com/#sthash.1CyUj5AA.dpuf

I worked with new Mike on the chokes.  I feel like I did a good job helping him get the techniques right.  We martial artists are an odd breed, we tell each other good job when the other person is able to choke or armbar you correctly.  My reps with the bow and arrow felt really good.  I feel like the steps after I secure my collar grip are really smooth and I don't feel the same way about any other technique I can think of.

Rolling: Back Mount Position (6 x 2 min rnds), Free Rolling (2 x 5 min rnds)

Of course defending the back everyone wanted to go for the bow and arrow right off the bat.  I almost got caught once or twice just because my opponent went for the collar grip right away after our hand slap and that is tough to deal with.  But, I didn't have to tap to that choke today.  Air Force Brian was probably the closest, but he let go of his underhook too soon which allowed me to get under his elbow.

I rolled with Darijo and Greg.  I was very systematic in my first roll with Darijo.  From butterfly sweep, to mount, to mounted triangle to armbar finishing with him saying, "What the hell was that?"  To which I replied, "Which part?"  "All of it!"  I rolled with Darijo after class as well and had a little trouble with the single leg-x guard.  Not sure if it was the way he was directing his leg but I couldn't seem to get to the right position and was worried about getting ankle locked myself when he sat down.  I'll have to ask about the problems I had tomorrow.

I felt great about my roll with Greg.  I was able to recover full guard at one point and I kept him from taking my back and submitting me, if that is what he was going for.  I did pause when I got to full guard to celebrate in my head for a second and that's when he broke my guard and passed.


No comments:

Post a Comment