Sunday, February 16, 2014

February 15th 2014 - Open Mat (Reality Check)

Forget what I wrote Friday.  I was reminded this morning that I still suck and I demonstrated that verily today.  I ended up rolling with 8 different people and I am feeling it. My plan was to roll with everyone but aI missed a few that were there: Conan, Gina, Wes, Sam, Tim, and Darijo.  I probably would have fallen apart if I rolled with everyone.  I'm not going to go over everything because it would take too long and I already forgot stuff, so just some highlights of what I feel like I did "Good" and "Bad":

Henry Good: Pulled off a scissor sweep, Deep Half sweep, passed his guard
Henry Bad: He kept top position most of the time, Submitted me with baseball bat choke and Brabo, Passes my guard like butter.

Mike Good: Had some fun fighting through quite a few scrambles.  Mike shared some advice on following up the leg drag with sliding and pinning the other leg.
Mike Bad: Caught me with an armbar. 

Jerad Good: Transitioned to one legged-x and then to x-guard and the technical stand-up sweep
Jerad Bad: Can't keep him in any type of guard.  Can't remember what he submitted me with

Fuji Good: I prevented his lasso with some previous advice from Mike, passed his guard
Fuji Bad: Caught me with an Americana or 2 rolled me over him easily when I had top position a couple times.

Adam Good: Had a good slow roll with him, Spent some time on top but his wrestling is something I'm working on dealing with.
Adam Bad: Smashed me in side control and finished me with a kimura

Brian Good: Played butterfly from bottom and then moved to mount after the sweep.,,
Brian Bad: Escaped my back mount

Ross Good: Before we started Ross commented that he always learns something when we roll together.  Transitioned to a pretty smooth armbar as he was defending my cross guard omoplata
Ross Bad: Don't remember anything going too bad, should have probably had something I wanted to work on in mind.

Austin Good: I appreciate Austin's attitude.  Both times I've seen him at open mat he's stayed for the duration and will roll with anyone and everyone.  Hopefully this persists and he sticks around.  I trained my omoplata mostly trying to get the submission instead of going directly for the sweep.  I also went over some various basics with him as well.  He didn't seem to get frustrated.
Austin Bad: N/A

It was a great day of training and a good reminder that I am only scratching the surface of Jiu-Jitsu.  I'm going to keep focusing on developing my cross guard game and I'm also looking into some Ryan Hall back take stuff, as well as training the under sprawl position when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment