Friday, February 12, 2016

February 12th 2016 - Gi All Levels (Impromptu Lab)

Theme & Techniques: Step Over Pass
Partner: Conan, Zac

It was just myself, Conan, and Zac today so we made it more of a Jiu-Jitsu lab and worked on a pass that Conan has been using lately.  It's kind of like the hip switch guard pass but triggered off of a knee slide pass instead. For reference watch at about the 3:50 mark of the video below.  It seemed a bit out of my comfort zone as it dealt with creating much more space between me and my opponent than I'm used to.  All in all it seemed like our normal Monday morning where we've been getting together to do this type of thing.  Message me or Conan if you're interested. 



Rolling: 5 min rounds with half guard, side control and free rolling

I had a very difficult time trying this during rolling.  Trying to set this up with my foot planted off to the side presented the most challenges for me.  I kept getting pulled into deep half or some type of bad half guard.  It was a little discouraging but you got to fail if you ever want to learn anything new.  I was also having trouble knowing where to put my hands at any given moment. 

Zac was challenging himself by starting on the bottom of side control with each roll.  So I got to attack quite a bit in rolls with him.  Conan gave him some pointers on controlling the top person and not letting them setup their submissions.  Later Zac said he was impressed with my neon belly and asked if we could work on that on Monday.  I look forward to that. 

When I rolled with Conan I think he assumed I was having a bad day because I was getting killed trying to complete this pass over and over again.  When we started free rolling I came out of the gate ready to go and he kind of let me pass his guard a bit.  I wasn't able to submit him but I had a better time than I usually do. 

The other day Conan seemed a bit concerned about my emotional state after I wrote that I was put in a bad mood after he destroyed me one morning.  One of the problems with writing this blog is walking the line of what to share.  I share what I'm working on, what I'm good and bad at, what frustrates me, etc.  While trying to stay away from bragging and talking about the submissions that I get I also try to stay away from too much self deprecation and self pity.  So I'm always concerned about how people will take being mentioned in here and if I offend them.  It honestly used to be easier to write this blog when I sucked really bad.  I'm in a pretty good place right now where I feel like I'm consistently progressing at a good pace and it's good to be reminded that I still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment