Saturday, February 6, 2016

February 6th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: O-soto Gari and Counter
Rolling/Game: Stand up Sparring, Free Rolling

Decent sized kids class today. Jerad and Conan did a great job teaching it.  My boys did well with the throw, the counter took a little explaining though.

The kids were  divided by size to do the standup sparring.  I saw quite a few good throw and takedown attempts. They're fun to watch because it seems like they have less fear of failing.

Open Mat
Rolled With: David, Andy, Jerad, Bhuvana
Game Plan: Spiral armbar, maintaining inside space

David: Very long and tough roll to start out the day.  I felt like I did a pretty good job attacking but he was very good at defending. I ended up with burning forearms and worn out fingers from trying collar and north south chokes.  I attempted to setup the spiral armbar a few times but wasn't able to turn the corner on it.

Andy: If I had to give him one criticism it's that he relies on baseball bat choke from the bottom too much.  He's good at them and they definitely work, but I feel like it's too high risk high reward for my blood.  Hopefully that's not too blunt.  Of course it's also good to have someone good at something like this so people get experience defending it.

Jerad: Same as usual. I feel like I hit a brick wall attempting what I'm good at with him. I may need to be a little more unpredictable moving forward. I did have one good sweep from deep half using the lapel to wrap his leg.

Bhuvana: She just wanted to drill a few things like north/south and baseball bat chokes.  I had to correct a few things but in the end she was able to do them pretty well.



No comments:

Post a Comment