Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February 16th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Butterfly Guard Passing Kneeling Headlock Pass, Standing Knee Cut Pass
Partner: Tom, Ben

Got some good information in class today.  We did 2 different guard passes against butterfly guard.  Greg was saying how standing to pass was sometimes better against bigger guys and the kneeling pass would be better against someone smaller or decent at leg locks. 

The first pass I sort of taught last week in the gi class.  The end result is pretty much the same but Greg's setup is much better.  As the butterfly guard guy goes for his underhook you collar tie them and pass their head to the other arm in a guillotine.  Then you decide to post on the floor and walk around or grab their ankle and spin them into side control.

The knee slide from standing I use quite a bit.  Stepping your foot in between their legs then simultaneously driving for the underhook and knee sliding.  The pointer that seemed to help my partners was to kind of throw yourself into the pass cross body like.  So don't try to put your knee straight across their thigh but turn the knee out and straighten your body. 

Rolling: Butterfly Guard (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Ben, Tom, Greg, Mike

Butterfly guard felt good for me today on both sides.  I was able to do both passes a couple times today so mission accomplished there.  Recently I got away from trying to focus on the techniques of the week as much.  I think it's still a good thing to do but for a while I was focused on being more aggressive for the tournament.  Lately I've felt like I've been teaching more and haven't been rolling as much in the beginner/all levels type classes.  Regardless I think the important thing is that I'm actively focusing on learning something specific in class.

Had a lively roll with Greg, I think.  I can never tell how much he's letting me work and what I actually am able to do on my own volition.  I started on the bottom the first couple of times and tried to work some butterfly with little success.  I ended up in half guard instead and did a good job of making space when I needed to.  I went for a couple of kimuras and was excited that I may actually get somewhere but I allowed him too much space and he jumped out of my half guard to side control so I let the kimura go.  The following rolls he just grabbed both my ankles and flipped me up and then went for a heel hook pretty easily twice in a row. 

I wanted to avoid any footsie with Mike today and I was lucky to try the double ankle grab that Greg had just done to me and got a pass out of it right into north/south choke.  I had to deal with his inverted guard a bit but got around that, but he was still able to get his hand on my chin and break out of the choke.  I went for the choke again later on and the same exchange ensued.  I just couldn't get my head low enough to avoid his hand on my chin.  He eventually got his legs around for an inverted triangle and as I tried to escape it he got a kimura grip. 

Office Hours Partner: Mike, Greg, Tom

After class Mike and I talked about the north/south choke and how to avoid his defense, I think a lot of it had to do with his size too.  Tom was asking about butterfly and Greg had me try to pass him for a while.  A good discussion followed going from butterfly to shin on shin to x guard and single leg x.  Talking about the best sweeps from single and full x guards etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment