Thursday, February 25, 2016

February 25th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Basic Triangle Setup
Partner: Dave, Byrav

Turned out to be a small class today which is fine.  I've trained for 11 days straight now so it's good to have an easy day. 

Here are some tips for this week's techniques:
  • Koshi Guruma: I have trouble with this too, but it's important to reach all the way around the neck.  Too many people stop at the shoulder instead of locking it up tight.
  • Triangle: Taking up the space is very important.  Being able to put your foot on their hip or thigh and raise your hips to prevent them from getting their arms involved is ideal.  Also for us short legged people it's good to get your knee as high as you can over their head to get the correct angle to close the triangle.

Rolling: Full Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Dave, Byrav

I liked seeing both Dave and Byrav attempt the technique of the day.  They had a great match where Dave was almost passed and Byrav kept shrimping to get his knee back in. 

Free rolled with Dave today and did my best to put him through the wringer.  I did my best to work on the triangle from class and found it very challenging.  I ended up doing some other triangle setups that helped take him a little off guard.  He did a good job getting his grips and doing the standing guard break which led me to failing miserably at the star sweep and ending up in turtle.  From the top I tried to be methodical and do the passes

He was a little discouraged after the roll but I tried to let him know that I wasn't getting everything I wanted and often had to change to different guard passes, subs, sweeps when he defended the others.  Have to count the little victories.




No comments:

Post a Comment