Wednesday, February 24, 2016

February 24th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Basic Open Guard, Triangle
Partner: Byrav

We did a judo warm-up where Mike would have us run around the room and then grip fight when he told us to stop.  I got a pretty good sweat going after that.

Byrav did pretty well with what we were working on.  It was a little difficult for him to try to stand and break my guard though as I'm a little heavier than him.  When we started working with the triangle he did a good job at following Mike and I's instruction to try to fix everything about it.  Grab your shin, put your foot on their hip, turn perpendicular, put your leg over your foot, too far flex your foot, okay now squeeze.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (3 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Byrav, Ben, Chris, Jerad, Mike

Had some tough rolls today and I'm really liking the recent addition of Chris and now Jerad as well.  This will help to make up for all the advanced classes that I'm missing out on. 

Byrav: I can see him improving and getting an idea of some things to do from top and bottom guard

Ben: His grip fighting is noticeably improved, he did a good job preventing me from getting the lapel grips from the top.

Chris: He always surprises me with his ability to create angles from the bottom of turtle when I think I'm about ready to take the back.  I had to hold on and try to out maneuver him a few times.

Jerad: I did a couple good things.  I started off a little behind and was put into quarter guard.  I was able to recover to full guard after a pretty good bridge.  I wasn't able to turn it into a cross guard like I wanted to but I made a good effort out of it. 

Mike: First roll he was taking it easy on me, somehow I got to x-guard and then setup a toe hold.  He said fuck this and he set his thrusters to ludicrous speed.  After a pretty tough back and forth he caught me with an armbar.

Office Hours Partner: Tom

We worked on some deep half and he had a couple of ah-ha moments.  He asked about if they are pressuring you over.  I showed a little of the back take and we practiced that a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment