Saturday, February 27, 2016

February 27th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Cross Collar Choke
Rolling/Game: Guard, Sharks and Octopuses (possibly octopi)

Good class today they were especially excited for the game.  They did have a few negative moments in that Jayden didn't want to hustle during hip escapes and Jace got upset when he couldn't figure out the collar choke.

I did see some good things in sparring. They're both getting better at understanding guard and breaking posture. But breaking guard needs some work.

They got stripes on their belts!







Open Mat
Rolled With: Tate, Jerad, Bhuvana, Craig
Game Plan: Guard Retention

Tate: This was the longest toughest roll I've had in a long time. We must have rolled for 20-30 minutes.  It was both tough physically and mentally. There were several times when I thought about giving up but I kept fighting.  There were good submission attempts mostly guillotines and there were some bad ones too, I went for a few ankle locks I shouldn't have.. Spent a lot of time in half guard and deep half.  Ultimately he caught me in a type of neck and shoulder crank.

Jerad: I think I did better against him dog tired. He commented that I didn't hold things that weren't working as long as I usually do.  I think a big part of this is also the recent shift in how I retain guard along with more movement and controlling my breathing better when escaping.

Bhuvana: We rolled a bit before working on some guard retention. I passed along what I had recently learned from Conan about not reaching with the feet to retain guard when they're standing. She seemed to get it right away and take it to heart.

Craig: He was happy to make it to open mat today and get a chance to roll with Greg for the first time. He commented on how Greg's little movements and adjustments made a big difference. We had a good roll like usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment