Thursday, February 18, 2016

February 18th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Headlock Escape to Back Mount, Kneeling Guard Break, Knee Slide Pass
Partner: Frank, Harvey

Retraction: I missed one piece of information when I taught the headlock escape yesterday.  I forgot to tell them to pull the arm out to help escape the headlock.  I apologize for ruining Jiu-Jitsu for anyone affected by this in class yesterday.

Another detail that Greg taught that I didn't think to was grabbing the pants at the knee to help you step over as you start your knee slide.  Something I do when I need to but didn't think to teach at the time.

Rolling: Guard (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Harvey, Frank, Shane

During rolling, I did my best to attempt the knee slide pass with any opportunity on the top.  I had more success with going to quarter guard and then switching back to knee slide or transitioning from knee over pass to knee slide.

From the bottom I was able to foil a few knee slides when they left room for my underhook, overcoming this made a huge difference in my guard passing.

Office Hours Partner: Frank, Harvey

During our roll I ended up with a hook in turtle and a collar grab on the same side. I felt a little stuck as I didn't have the leverage to roll him either way but I didn't want to let my hook or collar grip go either. Eventually I worked into the sliding lapel choke which we figured to be the best course of action.

Harvey and I worked with the knee slide a bit more and I worked on spiral armbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment