Saturday, February 13, 2016

February 13th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique: Drop seoi nage
Rolling/Game: Standup Sparring, Free Rolling, Flag Tag

Jace has been sick for a few days and was not able to go to class today.  I'm happy with how Jayden did on his own.  He still has some trouble with the partner exercises like pulling across the floor and giving piggyback rides.

I was impressed with how well him and his partner did with the drop shoulder throw. They both seemed to enjoy it.  It's one of my favorite throws.  During stand up Sparring he would start off well but eventually he'd get stuck bent over with his head down. We'll have to work on that.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Andy, Sam, Hiro, Dave K, Morgan, Derek, Henry
Game Plan: Bottom - Deep Half, Top - Knee on Belly

Had quite a few rolls today, which explains why I'm so tired.

Andy: I was able to foil his nefarious plans to choke me with a baseball bat choke from the bottom.  I'll probably eventually have to show him how to defend my over/under pass.

Sam: After a couple roles we got on the subject of the single leg x entry from butterfly and we worked on that for a while.  I was surprised that she had never worked on it before, but she made the comment that Mike caught her with it all the time.

Hiro: He was a visitor from MAMA who is planning on interviewing some of us for his thesis.  We went no gi and I soon realized that he was more experienced than me.  I felt like I would almost get somewhere only to be blocked.  I had a little success from deep half and almost swept with a waiter sweep but couldn't turn my hips over. He eventually got me with a guillotine from the top of half guard and I couldn't defend anymore.  He complimented me on my toughness, which I'll take.

Dave: Had a couple of tough rolls. I was able to use the shin on bicep to set up the omoplata and went to the crucifix position. In our second roll he was able to trap me in half guard for quite a while before moving up into mount and while transitioning to back mount he caught me with a tight head and arm choke.

Morgan: Had a good couple of rolls and he was able to surprise me with regaining guard from north/south. But, the notable phrase from our roll was when I had him in a cross collar choke from the back and he said, "Can we have a beard break?" At first I thought he said "beer break" but the hair of his beard was caught in my collar grip.

Derek M: He wasn't up for rolling but we drilled some regaining guard from half and side mount before he had to take off.  Probably a good thing because I was pretty worn out and he's a beast.

Henry: I thought I had enough gas in the tank to do another roll but I was wrong. It started out well with some back and forth but there was a point after he turtled and I was a little high on his back with a collar grip. He shrugged me off and I began to get a decent cramp in my ribs and basically gassed out.



No comments:

Post a Comment