Friday, February 5, 2016

February 5th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing Guillotine Against Wall Defense, Kneeling Guard Break, Double Under Pass, Defending the Double Under Pass
Students: Josh J, Anthony, Ty

Pretty much repeated the teaching portion of class from yesterday.  So I got to share the double under defenses with a new group.  I guess I wasn't the only one because Josh said that Jerad went over some of it the night before as well.

Rolling: Guard (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling
Rolled With: Everyone

I played pretty light today and tried to work technique methodically, but also gave the other guys a chance to try to set things up.  From the bottom I tried a little spider guard and I'm having some trouble being smooth with it or setting things up.  At the most I'm able to keep people from passing until I can transition to closed or butterfly guard.  I'm not up to doing the single leg-x transitions that are done to me so often.  I also did some cross guard and was able to pull off the back roll sweep very smoothly. 

Office Hours Partner: Josh

I worked with Josh a bit on the cross guard and holding the thigh to your head so they can't step over.  I told him to put his ear on his leg like he's listening for the ocean.  Then extend your body and sweep.  It seemed to make sense and I remember dealing with this problem a lot when I first started the cross guard. 

I worked on getting the spiral armbar and he gave me some resistance.  I was having trouble with trusting my posture from here to get into position so I think this helped.  I just have to keep walking forward and raise up high to keep affecting the elbow.  It seems counter intuitive but it's the way it has to be done to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment