Monday, December 12, 2011

December 11th - No-Gi (Deflating my Cranium)

Conan taught class yesterday and the theme was single leg takedown and half guard stuff.  I really liked working on this even though I'm not particularly good at it.  We started out with getting the single leg a cool way by arm drag to a sitting position.  Then a couple of other single leg variations.  Probably the coolest technique we did was to defend a single leg and then roll into a knee bar.  We did some further stuff from there in case they defended that.

I really hate the feeling that I've had in the last couple of classes.  Usually I can do most techniques with confidence.  But with some takedowns, judo throws, and different types of guards I find myself not being able to make it work.  It's very frustrating.

During open mat I rolled with Conan first.  I felt pretty good about my guard passing with him.  I kept pressure where I needed to and didn't lose balance like I usually do with him.  It just seems like I can never get completely past his guard, there is always another foot or knee or hand in the way.  I don't remember too much after that except defending from bottom side control.  We went twice and I was submitted twice.

I rolled with Mike next and it was a lot more difficult than the last time we rolled.  I had a terrible time passing his guard and when I did I wasn't able to finish any of my submissions.  He got me with a heel hook and a triangle.  While doing the triangle he used a little modification from a video that Conan posted the other day, pushing on the knee which worked great...for him.  I made the mistake of going into this role more confident than I should have been, due to recent events.  I wasn't pissed that I lost to Mike, I just have to remember that I need to keep getting better and that we all have good and bad days.

No comments:

Post a Comment