Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December 5th - Gi (Witty title that infers that I tapped out a purple belt)

Jerad taught class last night and asked me what I wanted to work on.  I didn't have anything in mind but I came up with gift wrap and the flower sweep.  The main point that Jerad was focusing on was to get your partner loaded up on your hips kind of pulling them on top of you.  We did several sweeps like this from guard.  We also did a couple of cool ways to get to oma plata and a reverse oma plata. 

During open mat I went with Josh first.  He is new to our school from Kansas and has done BJJ for somewhere around a year.  I outweigh him quite a bit (like 80 lbs).  At first I had some problems with how he was grabbing my gi and using his legs to keep me in his guard.  I eventually took guard instead and swept him with the low half guard sweep and eventually got to side control.  I was able to go north/south and pull off a kimura.  He does have some skills and a little bit of a different style than I'm used to. 

David swarmed me and extended a challenge to see what Conan showed me to help defeat him.  My plan was pretty simple just get my forearm in Davids throat to prevent him from bullying me with his forehead.  It did help in neutralizing his head, however he still passed my guard and I had to defend from side control for a while.  There were a couple of scrambles I was mounted, in his guard, back mounted, and in half guard.  He got me once with a cross collar choke from guard that I thought I could defend by grabbing his lapel in the stomach and straightening my arm.  Once he bent my elbow it was over.  The other time he got me with a triangle from no mans' land.

My last partner was Jerad.  I was able to pass his guard (I think he kind of let me) and took side control.  We had a few scrambles and I took mount for a while.  We switched positions more and during a scramble I saw an opportunity to put him in a reverse arm triangle (not sure of the name but it's like an arm triangle where his arm is in my armpit).  It felt pretty tight but it didn't feel like I completely had it right.  I got a little excited with the chance of submitting Jerad.  He squirmed and I felt like I was going to lose it, I saw an opportunity to go for a far side armbar and I went for it.  Switching to the other side over his body I got my leg around his head as soon as I could, he stood up and I extended my hips and held onto his sleeve straightening the arm.  He tapped.  YES!!

It was a very strange thought process that I went through during this exchange I felt doubt in being able to submit someone like Jerad, but I also knew that I had something.  The transition felt very smooth, natural and right.

Of course it will not be this easy with Jerad again.  It is a good feeling to know that I will be taken more seriously by him in the future.  The two other rolls that followed I was not nearly as successful.  There was one point when I was trying a side control escape that can end up in a darce. However he had me in an Americana that caused my arm to straighten and made me tap.  So, don't try that again. I don't recall the other way he submitted me.

1 comment: